Let’s be real, the main reason why most people get a tummy tuck is that they want to look better. It’s true! A tummy tuck can give you fantastic results that last for a long time. But did you know that getting a tummy tuck can also improve your health? This procedure isn’t just about the performance of health, it can actually help reduce back pain and other ailments.
What is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is also called an abdominoplasty. It is a common medical procedure in which a surgeon removes extra skin and fat from the abdomen. During the procedure, the abdominal muscles are also tightened to prevent looseness and separation. Because a tummy tuck is an involved medical procedure, it is always performed under general anesthesia. A tummy tuck can safely be combined with liposuction as well as other medical and cosmetic procedures.
Tummy tucks are usually thought of as purely cosmetic procedures. However, they can also have medical applications and health benefits for the right patient. When the abdominal muscles are tightened, it can relieve a variety of medical conditions, including back pain, and poor posture.
Whether you want a tummy tuck to improve your health or to improve your beauty, the team at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic is here to help. Learn more about Dr. Qazi and his team of surgeons when you schedule a consultation at our Orange County location.
If you are still wondering if a tummy tuck is right for you, continue reading to learn all about the 15 benefits of a tummy tuck.
What Are the Aesthetic Benefits of Tummy Tuck?
This is the reason why most people choose to get a tummy tuck: they want to slim down. Tummy tucks are recommended for both men and women who don’t like the shape of their bodies. Here are the 10 main cosmetic tummy tuck benefits of getting a tummy tuck:
- Belly fat is stubborn and can be impossible to get rid of. Instead of starving yourself and trying scam supplements to slim down, do what will work the first time.
- An abdominoplasty can be very beneficial as part of a “mommy makeover.” It helps women feel confident in their bodies after childbirth.
- Tummy tucks can also be good for dads who want to stay sexy for their wives but who don’t have time for the gym anymore.
- This procedure is not about weight loss; it is about contouring the body and improving your proportions. This means that most of your clothes will still fit, but you will look even better in them.
- Achieving your dream body will unlock levels of confidence that you did not think were possible. If you want to runway walk down the aisles at the grocery store, that’s a common side effect.
- An abdominoplasty can correct loose skin on the abdomen. If you have already lost a significant amount of weight by yourself, the procedure is just the icing on the cake to get the body you want.
- A tummy tuck can easily be combined with other procedures. For example, the belly fat can be transferred to the butt or the breasts in a BBL or breast augmentation combo procedure.
- While the procedure is not designed for weight loss, your improved figure could inspire you to make healthier choices. Patients often report that they felt self-conscious at the gym before their procedure. After they recover, most patients report feeling more comfortable at the gym.
- Weight gain is a normal part of aging. In the same way that a facelift can take years off your face, a tummy tuck can help turn back the clock on your body. Patients love to look as young as they feel!
- The results from a tummy tuck at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic look realistic and natural. The medical team always hides the incisions in the bikini line, so no one will ever guess that you had a procedure. Dr. Qazi and his team also offer several highly effective treatments to help fade the scars after you recover.
What Are the Medical Benefits of Tummy Tuck?
This procedure is not just about slimming. Because the abdominal wall is tightened during a tummy tuck, patients can also get long-lasting medical benefits out of their procedure.
There are 5 health conditions that can be treated with a tummy tuck:
1. Diastasis Recti
When you have this condition, it will probably appear like a pouch or a roundness of the belly. When the abdominal muscles become too loose and stretched, movement and exercise can be painful. For minor cases, it is treatable with physical therapy. However, more severe weakness and separation will require a procedure to repair the damage.
Diastasis recti is more common in pregnant women; around two-thirds of mothers develop this condition at some point postpartum. Older men and former athletes can also experience abdominal separation if they continually weight train with bad form.
Because diastasis recti is so common, most patients know that their best option for treatment is a tummy tuck. One of the tummy tuck benefits is that it can both fix your abdominal separation and rejuvenate your figure at the same time.
2. Reduce Back Pain
Back pain is widespread for both men and women in various occupations. The main cause of back pain is muscle imbalance. If your core is loose and weak, it won’t support you properly and your back muscles have to compensate. During a tummy tuck, the medical team tightens the abdominal muscles. This can improve your core stability and take the pressure off your back.
Dr. Qazi recommends that patients treat a tummy tuck like a helper procedure for back pain, not a final destination. Even after your procedure, you should continue strength training and maintain good posture.
3. Reduce SUI
SUI is stress urinary incontinence. If there is too much pressure on the bladder and urethra, your bladder may leak at inappropriate times. It can be triggered by laughing, exercising, coughing, and moving too quickly. There are many things that can cause SUI; the most common cause is pregnancy and difficult labor.
For some patients, SUI will go away on its own. However, an abdominoplasty can be an effective treatment to make SUI go away for good. When the extra tissue is removed from the abdomen during a tummy tuck, it can reduce the amount of pressure on the bladder. Additionally, tightening the abdominal muscles can provide greater support for the pelvic area.
4. Improved Posture for Fewer Injuries
Some benefits of the tummy tuck are long-term ones. When the abdominal walls are tightened, it will create better muscle balance and support for the spine. What this does in the short term is reduce back pain. However, if patients maintain their results and their core strengths, it can help them reduce the risk of falls in old age.
5. Ventral Hernia Correction
The last health condition that a tummy tuck can treat is a ventral hernia. This occurs when part of the intestine comes through the abdominal wall. It can be painful and inhibit the activities that a patient can do comfortably. When the medical team tightens the abdominal wall during a tummy tuck procedure, they are also able to fix the hernia.
After your tummy tuck, you will get both an incredible figure and the freedom to live without abdominal pain.
Is a Tummy Tuck Worth It?
The patients who have experienced the tummy tuck benefits have reported sky-high satisfaction rates for the procedure. A study in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons medical journal found that patients rate a tummy tuck as a 9 out of 10 for satisfaction. Patients who also had liposuction in tandem with their tummy tuck reported a 99% satisfaction rate.
This study surveyed 360 patients 4 months after their procedure. The study was 85% women and 15% men; the average age of the participants was 42 years old.
When asked about their procedure, 98% of respondents said that they would get the procedure again and that they would recommend the procedure to others. 86% of the patients surveyed reported increased self-esteem and 70% reported that they had an improved quality of life.
The numbers don’t lie, nor do the millions of people who are thrilled with their tummy tuck results. If you ask Dr Qazi’s tummy tuck patients, they will tell you that the procedure is absolutely worth it. If you have SUI, a ventral hernia, back pain, or diastasis recti then it is completely worth it to get a tummy tuck. No one should have to live with pain or discomfort.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
Not every procedure is ideal for everyone. Some patients have a lifestyle that lends itself to the procedure, while other patients are advised to develop healthier habits first.
You may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck if you:
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol in excess, or use recreational drugs.
- Are in overall good health.
- Your weight has been stable for at least a year.
- Do not have a medical condition that could cause complications during the procedure.
- Have a history of positive body image and have never engaged in eating disorder behaviors.
- Have enough loose skin and abdominal tissue to justify the procedure. Or you have a diagnosed medical condition that can be improved by a tummy tuck.
- Have the ability to take time off work and avoid strenuous activities for several weeks.
- Have realistic expectations for the procedure.
How Long Do the Results of a Tummy Tuck Last?
One of the biggest benefits of tummy tuck is that the results are long-lasting and nearly permanent. For most patients, the results from their tummy tuck last 10 to 15 years. If you maintain your results, then you can enjoy your new body for decades to come.
When you get a tummy tuck, the fat cells and excess skin is completely removed; it will not come back, so there is no way for the procedure to wear off. However, if you gain weight or become pregnant, then fat could accumulate in the abdomen and ruin your results. A tummy tuck will not prevent your skin from aging naturally, which can result in wrinkles and sagging skin all over the body, including on the abdomen.
For the best results, Dr. Qazi recommends that you:
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Create and stick to an exercise routine that you enjoy
- Do not do any trendy crash diets or juice cleanses
- Maintain a healthy relationship with food
- Stay hydrated
- Avoiding smoking, drinking excessively, and using recreational drugs
- Always wear sunscreen when outside
Ready to Reap the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck?
Whether it’s cosmetic or to improve your quality of life, Dr. Qazi is happy to provide high-quality, natural-looking medical procedures to patients in Orange County. If you have questions about the procedure or wonder if you are a good candidate, schedule a consultation today!