Cosmetic procedures have historically been tailored toward women. However, men all over the country have also gotten in on these anti-aging tactics. Brow lifts have become very popular among men aged 40 plus. Not only can a brow lift restore your field of vision, but it can also make you look younger.
Do Men Get Brow Lifts?
While a majority of cosmetic surgery patients are women, procedures like a brow lift for men are gaining popularity. Male brow lifts are ideal for patients who want fast, permanent results. It is better than sitting through multiple rounds of Botox. A brow lift can have several desirable benefits for male patients. First, it tightens the skin on the forehead, erasing age lines. Second, it restores vision by removing the barrier of sagging brows. Third, it improves a man’s overall demeanor.
At Qazi Cosmetic Clinic in Orange County, Dr. Qazi and his team of plastic surgeons frequently treat male patients. A brow lift is recommended for men over the age of 40. The procedure can make a man look and feel younger. If you are a man who is interested in a brow lift, continue reading to learn more about the procedure.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Brow Lift Surgery?
There are 5 factors that are used to determine if you are a good candidate for a particular procedure:
- Your age
- Your overall health
- The severity of your condition
- If you want a tandem procedure
- What your aesthetic goals are
The best way to determine your brow lift eligibility is to schedule a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic. When you meet with Dr. Nadir Qazi, he will discuss the procedure with you and determine if it is recommended for you.
The ideal candidate for a male brow lift is a man who is:
- Over 40
- In overall good health
- Has realistic expectations for the procedure
- Wants a natural look
- Has deep horizontal lines across the forehead
- Has naturally low set eyebrows
- Experiences brow sagging that impedes vision
- Has brows that droop in such a way to make him look older
- Has a full head of hair and no history of male pattern baldness
Because the incisions for a brow lift are hidden in the hairline, the procedure works best on men who have a full head of hair. If you later develop male pattern baldness, then there is a chance that your scars could become visible. The procedure can be performed on bald men; however, the scars will not be as well hidden.
What is the Best Age for a Brow Lift for Men?
A majority of men who get brow lifts are in the 40 to 60 age range. It is normally in a man’s 40s when he begins to notice signs of aging. Forehead lines may deepen, his brows might sag, and he may realize that he looks just like his father. However, not every man develops forehead wrinkles by his 40s. Those who are not predisposed to deep facial wrinkles may not begin to look their age until their 60s.
Before and After a Male Brow Lift
- Before your brow lift, you will receive personalized instructions. Dr. Qazi will also discuss this with you during your consultation.
- 2-3 Weeks Before the Procedure: You will need to stop smoking, drinking alcohol, and consuming any tobacco products.
- 1 Week Before: If you take medications or supplements that cause thinning of the blood, you will need to stop taking them. Some commonly prescribed anticoagulants include aspirin, NSAIDs, Plavix, and Lovenox. There is another group of medications called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MOIs) which can interfere with anesthesia. If you take certain antidepressants, anti-Alzheimer’s drugs, or St John’s Wort, you will need to discontinue it until after the procedure.
- The Night Before Surgery: You must stop eating and drinking at midnight before your procedure. If it is scheduled for later in the day, you must stop eating 8 hours beforehand. You will also be instructed to wash your face and body in a certain way. This is to reduce the risk of infection and skin irritation.
- The Day of the Procedure: On the day of the procedure, you will be given time to arrive at the cosmetic center. It is very important that you are on time. Someone will have to drive too and it is best if they stay with you. If you wear dentures, glasses, or contacts, be sure to take them out before you go into the OR. If you use a CPAP machine, bring it with you to the surgery center unless instructed otherwise.
What is the Recovery Like After a Brow Lift?
The recovery after a brow lift for men is relatively short compared to other procedures. Depending on the type of procedure, your total recovery time will be 4 to 6 weeks.
This is the timeline that you can expect after your brow lift.
- 1-12 Hours After the Procedure: Most patients are able to go home the same day. When you are sent home, you will be given prescriptions for painkillers and instructions for wound care. The dressings will also be wrapped to cover your eyes. You do not have to keep your eyes covered, but the rest of the bandages must stay on. A designated support person will need to drive you home and stay with you for the first few days. When you get home, you should walk around as much as you are able to.
- 2 Days After the Procedure: When you hit the second day after the procedure, you are safe to shower. Do not use harsh chemicals on your face and do not scrub the treatment area. At this point, bruising, swelling, and general discomfort are common. Most patients take painkillers, either prescribed or OTC, for up to 2 weeks. Some blurry vision and light sensitivity are normal. Make sure to contact Qazi Cosmetic Clinic if it lasts more than 2 days.
- First Week: If you have a sedentary job, you are safe to return to work after 1 week. You may have some remaining bruising; this can be camouflaged with cosmetic products or a hat.
- Second Week: If you have a physically active job, you should take 2 weeks off work. At the end of the second week, you can return to wearing contacts. At this point, you can resume driving and light household chores.
- 3-4 Weeks After the Procedure: You can ease back into exercise during the 3rd and 4th weeks. Activities like swimming and sitting in saunas should be avoided until the wounds heal. By the end of the 4th week, most patients are able to return to all their normal activities.
How Long Until I See Results After a Male Brow Lift?
It takes 4 to 6 weeks to completely heal from a brow lift. In total, Dr. Qazi tells male patients that their results will be final after 6-12 months. This is due to how the brows settle and the fact that incisions need to heal.
How Long Do the Results From a Brow Lift Last?
Brow lifts for men are so popular because the results last a long time. Generally, you can expect your results to last 10 to 15 years.
It is a common practice with facelifts to get the procedure twice. Patients will get a facelift in their late 50s/early 60s, then get a refresher one in their 70s. This is an option for men who get brow lifts. If 15 years later you feel old again, then a refresher brow lift may be in order.
For some male patients, the results can be permanent. If you properly care for your skin, then your results could last forever. Dr. Qazi recommends these 7 ways to extend your brow lift results:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure. If the UV index is 3 or higher, apply sunscreen. To be effective, sunscreen must be 15 SPF or higher.
- Stay hydrated.
- Do not smoke tobacco products or drink alcohol in excess.
- Maintain a diet that is rich in vitamins.
- Keep your skin hydrated. Moisturize using products that have no harsh chemicals or scents.
- Keep your face protected. Trauma to the face can cause the brows to sag. This means, if you box, maybe find a new activity.
- If possible, minimize how much you frown.
3 Benefits of a Brow Lift for Men
The purpose of a brow lift is to open up the face by raising the brows. It is normal for the skin to sag and the brows to droop with age. Many men look in the mirror one day and discover that they look like their elderly fathers.
When the brows droop into the eyes, it can impede your vision. It also makes men look grumpy, angry, or mean. If you feel your age catching up with you, then a brow lift may be right for you.
These are the 3 biggest benefits of a male brow lift:
1. A Brow Lift Restores Your Sight
Brow lifts are ideal for men because they are not only aesthetic, they are functional. When the brows impede your vision, it can lower your quality of life. It can make driving, operating heavy machinery, RVing, boating, and flying unsafe. For many men, a brow lift enables them to return to their hobbies.
2. When You Look Younger, You Feel Younger
What a man sees in the mirror has a lot to do with his confidence levels. If you look young, active, and ready to take on the world, that will show in your demeanor. Men who have gotten brow lifts often report increased success at work. For some men, their new look inspires them to try new things. Perhaps a new gym routine, a new hobby, or a new business venture.
3. A Brow Lift Makes Men More Approachable
Remember the days of approaching women at bars and flirting all night? With age, it’s normal for men to get a chillier reception than women. This probably has to do with your brows. When the brows sag, it makes you seem grumpy, angry and brooding. A brow lift for men can open up the face while enhancing your male features. After a brow lift, you will seem more approachable, more likable, and more fun to be with. Many men report better success with dating after their brow lift.
Learn More About Male Brow Lifts in Orange County
Are you ready for all the amazing benefits of a brow lift for men? Schedule a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic today to learn more about your options. There are several different methods for performing the procedure. During the consultation, Dr. Qazi will help determine the best technique for your goals.