There are many procedures that can dramatically improve your appearance, such as buccal fat removal vs chin lipo. While chin lipo targets a double chin, buccal fat removal slims the face. These procedures are recommended by plastic surgeons because they are permanent and highly transformative.
What is the Difference Between Chin Liposuction vs Buccal Fat Removal?
Chin liposuction treats double chins. The procedure involves making small incisions in the skin and vacuuming out the extra fat cells. In some cases, this can be done under local anesthesia. Buccal fat removal, on the other hand, is all about the cheeks. Buccal fat pads rest between the cheek bones and the jawbone. Too much buccal fat makes the cheeks appear overly rounded. Like chin lipo, buccal fat removal can be performed under local anesthesia. The surgeon removes the fat pads from the inside of the mouth, so there is no visible scarring.
If you have a rounded, undefined face, you may not know the best way to improve your appearance. You may be trying to decide between buccal fat removal and chin lipo. Keep reading to learn which procedure can give you your desired results.
Fat Pad Removal Procedure: 5 Things You Need to Know
1. What is Buccal Fat Removal?
Buccal fat removal surgery is designed to thin the cheeks and enhance the cheekbones. The procedure is popular among both men and women who want a slimmer face. While it is natural for some people to have rounder faces, it isn’t a very desirable look. Buccal fat removal is permanent and will not result in visible scars.
2. Good Candidates for Buccal Fat Removal
The ideal candidate for this procedure is someone who:
- Has large, chubby cheeks
- Is unhappy with their appearance and the shape of their face
- Is in overall good health
- Has the ability to take time off work for the procedure
- Has been at a consistent weight for several months
- Does not smoke or routinely drink alcohol to excess
- Has realistic expectations for the procedure
- Is at least 18 years old or older
Buccal fat removal surgery is suitable for both men and women. For women, it can make you look more mature and give you natural contour. For men, it can make you appear slimmer, more active, and more put-together.
3. How To Prepare for Buccal Fat Removal
The first step of every procedure is to get a consultation. This is the time when you find out if you are a good candidate. During this meeting, you will also discuss your goals, medical history, and you can ask questions. All surgical procedures are performed by Dr. Qazi’s team of experienced plastic surgeons.
If you are a good candidate, you will be told how to prepare for the procedure. All medical instruction is personalized. Patients are instructed to stop smoking, drinking alcohol, and taking blood thinning medications. Since you will not be under general anesthesia, you can eat normally up until your appointment.
4. How Does the Fat Pad Removal Procedure Work?
In some cases, fat pad removal can be performed under local anesthesia.This is true for both buccal fat removal vs chin lipo. However, if you are getting multiple cosmetic procedures done, you will need general anesthesia.
First, anesthetic will be injected into the inside of your cheeks. It takes about 30 minutes for you to be completely numb. Once you are numb, the plastic surgeon will make a small incision inside your cheek. They will lightly press on your cheek to press the fat pad towards the incision. Once the fat pad is in position, the surgeon will trim away the extra fat. The incisions are stitched up with dissolvable stitches for an easier recovery.
After this procedure is performed on both cheeks, you are safe to go home. As long as you did not receive general anesthesia, you are safe to drive yourself home.
5. What is Recovery Like for Buccal Fat Removal?
The recovery takes about 3 weeks total. You will be given a special mouthwash to keep the incisions from getting infected. You will also be told how to safely eat and brush your teeth. For the first few days, you should only eat liquids and soft food. This is a great time to get really into smoothie bowls! As your mouth starts to feel better, you can progress to solid foods.
It is completely normal for patients to experience bruising, soreness, and difficulty chewing. This will subside as your face heals.
Most patients are able to go back to work within 3 to 5 days. If you have an appearance-focused job or a role that requires lots of speaking, you may need to take more time off.
The results of your procedure will not be immediately visible. The fat pads are permanently gone. However, your face needs to adjust to their absence. The skin and facial tissues will settle into place over time. After 6 months, your results will be final.
Chin Liposuction: 5 Things You Need to Know
Buccal fat removal vs chin lipo are very similar procedures. They are both minimally invasive, slim the face, and only require local anesthesia.
Whereas the fat pad removal procedure targets the fat in the face, chin lipo targets fat in the chin.
1. Who is a Good Candidate for Chin Liposuction?
The ideal candidate for chin lipo is anyone who:
- Has a large enough double chin to benefit from the procedure
- Has a double chin caused by fat rather than sagging skin
- Is in overall good physical health
- Is able to take time off work to recover
- Has been at a stable body weight for at least a year
- Does not have a history of body dysmorphia or disordered eating
Chin lipo is not recommended for patients with a bleeding disorder, clotting disorder, or any condition that causes wasting away of submental fat.
2. How to Prepare for Chin Lipo
Preparing for chin liposuction vs buccal fat removal is very similar. Like with fat pad removal, you will need to:
- Have a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic to discuss your goals, concerns, and medical history
- Stop smoking, drinking alcohol, and taking blood thinners 2-3 weeks before the procedure
- Arrange to take time off work
- Keep your weight stable up until the procedure
3. What is the Procedure for Double Chin Treatment?
When you get chin lipo for double chin removal, the procedure is very straightforward. Buccal fat removal and chin lipo are both performed under local anesthesia. When you arrive for your procedure, your chin will be injected with local anesthesia.
Once the anesthetic has kicked in, the procedure can begin. The first step of liposuction is for the surgeon to make a small incision in the chin. This is used to access the fat cells under the skin. A medical device called a cannula is used to vacuum out the excess fat.
Once a desirable amount of fat has been removed, the surgeon will bandage the treatment area.
4. How Long is the Recovery After Chin Liposuction?
It takes 4 to 6 weeks to completely recover from chin lipo. For the first few days, you will feel sore, bruised, and will need to move carefully. Ice and over the counter medication can be used to minimize discomfort.
After 48 hours, the dressings can safely come off and you can safely shower again. When patients can return to work varies. If you work from home or have a sedentary job, you can return to work after 1 or 2 days. If you have a physically active job, you may need to take a week off.
You can slowly begin to resume normal exercise after 2 to 3 weeks. Your results will be final after 6 to 12 months when your skin settles into its new position.
Buccal Fat Removal vs Chin Lipo: Which is Right For Me?
Both buccal fat removal and chin lipo can make your face look slimmer. The key difference is in how they do it. Buccal fat removal targets the fat in the cheeks, which enhances the cheek bones. Chin lipo removes the fat cells that make up a double chin.
If you are wondering which procedure is right for you, it comes down to 2 things:
- Does your face appear round because of your chin or because of your cheeks?
- Which area of your face are you unhappy with?
It is possible to combine the 2 procedures, which can be done easily under general anesthetic.
Benefits of Buccal Fat Removal
- Due to the structure of the cheeks, the procedure does not result in any loose skin on the face.
- All incisions are hidden inside the mouth, so you will have no facial scars.
- The recovery is relatively short compared to other cosmetic procedures.
- The results are permanent as long as you do not gain a large amount of weight.
- This procedure is one of the best ways to achieve natural contour in a single session.
Benefits of Chin Liposuction
- A slimmer chin can make both your face and body appear thinner and more fit.
- The results can be permanent if your weight stays stable.
- After chin lipo, men are able to button up their shirts all the way, making them look more professional in the workplace.
- Chin lipo allows female patients to enjoy wearing necklaces and other jewelry without being self conscious of their chin.
- Chin lipo can be combined with almost any other cosmetic procedure.
- Getting rid of a double chin is a huge confidence booster for patients of all ages.
Chin Liposuction vs Buccal Fat Removal at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic
If you are considering buccal fat removal vs chin lipo, Dr. Qazi and his team can help! Schedule a consultation to learn more about your self-improvement options. Our Orange County office is now accepting new patients.
By: Dr. Nadir Qazi
Dr. Nadir Qazi is a board certified physician specializing in minimally invasive cosmetic procedures. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery and an instructor for advanced injections and laser techniques.