You may have noticed that Chrissy Teigen buccal fat removal is trending following her recent selfie. If you’ve never heard of buccal fat removal, you’re not the only one. Outside of Hollywood, most people haven’t heard of this transformative procedure. Trend watchers predict that buccal fat removal will be the next big trend to sweep the internet.
How You Can Achieve Chrissy Teigan’s Look with Buccaal Fat Removal
Buccal fat removal is a relatively straightforward procedure. It can often be done outpatient under local anesthesia. The buccal fat pads are located in the cheeks, just under the cheekbones. These fat pads are the cause of a round face, also called a baby face. During a buccal fat pad removal procedure, Dr. Qazi and his team of surgeons makes an incision on the inside of the cheeks. The entire fat pad is not normally removed during the procedure. Cutting away 40% to 60% of the pad is enough to create the desired look.
Whether you are first hearing about this or have been interested in the procedure for a long time, this is the article for you. Dr. Qazi and his team of plastic surgeons will break down everything you need to know about Chrissy Teigen’s buccal fat removal.
5 Things To Know About Buccal Fat Removal Surgery
That selfie of Chrissy Teigen is making a big splash on Instagram and Tik Tok! Before you rush to buccal fat removal to achieve the look for yourself, there are a few things that you should know.
- Who is a good candidate for the procedure?
- How to prepare for buccal fat removal
- What to expect for the procedure
- What recovery is like after buccal fat removal
- Is this procedure right for you?
If you have additional questions, please schedule a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic. Dr. Nadir Qazi and his team of plastic surgeons offer buccal fat removal, as well as alternative non-invasive procedures.
1. Who is a Good Candidate for Buccal Fat Pad Removal?
Anyone considering this procedure should have ample buccal fat that gives their face a round appearance. In young adults, this may look like “baby fat” on the face. It is very important for patients to have large enough fat pads for the procedure to be beneficial. Patients with slim faces are not good candidates for buccal fat removal. The procedure would just cause them to look gaunt and unhealthy.
If you have lost weight on your body, but your face has stayed round, buccal fat removal may be right for you.
Patients for fat pad removal should also:
- Be in good overall health
- Have no history of an allergic reaction to anesthesia, local or general
- Be at a stable weight for at least a year
- Have no history of body dysmorphia or disordered eating
- Be prepared for a liquid diet after the procedure
- Have the ability to take time off work to recover
Contact Qazi Cosmetic Clinic if you are questioning whether you may be a good candidate. During the consultation, Dr. Qazi and his team can determine if you could benefit from fat pad removal.
2. How to Prepare for Buccal Fat Pad Removal
Compared to other surgical procedures, the prep is fairly straightforward. All your pre-op instruction will be given to you during or after your consultation. These instructions are customized to the medical needs of each patient.
While some prep instructions may vary, patients are normally instructed to:
- Stop taking NSAIDs and blood thinners
- Do not take Aspirin 2 weeks before the procedure
- Stop smoking, drinking, and using recreational substances 1 week before the procedure
- Eat normally the week before your procedure
- If you are getting general anesthesia, stop eating and drinking at midnight before your procedure
- Prepare to be on a soft or liquid diet
- Arrange to take time off work
You may receive additional instructions depending on your health history. Some patients must get blood tests done to ensure their safety during the procedure.
3. What to Expect During Buccal Fat Pad Removal
If you are considering buccal fat removal, the procedure can go one of two ways.
The buccal fat removal procedure can be performed under general or local anesthesia. Local anesthesia is an option that stops the nerves in one area from sending pain signals. It is common for local anesthesia to be paired with a sedative to help patients relax. Under local anesthesia, you are awake for the duration of the procedure. It is safe to drive home afterwards, but you may prefer to have a friend drive you. The Qazi Cosmetic Clinic surgical team uses local anesthesia if buccal fat removal is the only procedure you are getting.
If you are having multiple procedures performed at once, general anesthesia will be used. With general anesthesia, you are put to sleep. This means that you will need someone to drive you home after the procedure.
Regardless of the type of anesthesia, the fat pad removal procedure is the same.
First, the surgeon will make small incisions on either side of the cheeks. They will press on the fat pad from the outside to pop it through the incision. Your surgeon will trim away some of the extra fat in equal amounts on each side. The entire fat pad is not removed; it is necessary for the face to have some fat for shape and cushioning. Normally between 40% and 60% of the fat pad is trimmed away.
The plastic surgeon will make sure your face is symmetrical before closing the incisions. The incisions in the cheeks are closed with either surgical glue or dissolvable stitches. In some cases the procedure can take as little as 45 minutes or an hour.
4. The Recovery After Buccal Fat Removal
After the procedure, it is normal for your cheeks to be sore and swollen. For the first few days of your recovery, you must:
- Use the prescribed mouthwash to prevent incision infection
- Consume a liquid diet
- Avoid strenuous activity, including yoga, home workouts, and running errands
- Brush your teeth carefully and gently
- Ice your cheeks as needed on 20 minute intervals
Once you start feeling better, you can ease your way back into soft foods, then solid foods. If you’ve ever been tempted to try out juicing, now is the time! Pain levels vary by person. Some patients report no pain after the initial soreness, others require OTC medication.
The most important thing to know is that the results won’t be immediate. It takes 3 weeks for the incisions to heal. After 3 weeks, you are safe to brush your teeth as vigorously as you want. When you feel ready, you can slowly resume normal activity.
It takes about 6 months for you to see results. Your body needs to adjust to the missing buccal fat. After everything settles into place, you can enjoy your sharp, new jawline and cheekbones.
5. Is Buccal Fat Removal the Right Procedure for You?
At Qazi Cosmetic Clinic, we believe in natural-looking cosmetic surgery. Dr. Qazi and his team of plastic surgeons can be very selective when it comes to certain procedures. Some plastic surgery procedures can be reversed, such as breast implants. However, buccal fat removal cannot be reversed.
The success of buccal fat removal is heavily dependent on your features. For the right patient, it can unlock hidden contours and make it so your face matches your figure.
Why is Buccal Fat Removal So Popular?
The obvious answer is celebrity culture and social media, especially Tik Tok. It is no secret that sharp jawlines, prominent cheekbones, and cheek dips are in style. Many people are looking for ways to achieve a look like Bella Hadid, Sophie Turner, and Zoe Kravitz.
However, the popularity behind this procedure goes beyond face envy. Buccal fat removal is so popular for 8 reasons:
- The procedure is fast and doesn’t require general anesthesia.
- You get the permanent results of a surgical procedure with the speed and ease of a non-invasive procedure.
- There are no visible scars because the incisions are in the mouth.
- The results are striking!
- This single procedure can completely transform the face.
- The results are permanent – no touch ups, no need for multiple appointments.
- Buccal fat removal can easily be paired with other procedures.
- There is no age limit on the procedure. Young people can get it for the look and older people can get it to treat jowls.
Get Celebrity-Quality Results Right Here in Newport Beach
Procedures with jaw-dropping results are not just for celebrities! Qazi Cosmetic Clinic offers surgical procedures to help everyone meet their aesthetic goals. If you are interested in buccal fat removal like Chrissy Teigen, schedule a consultation today!