If you have a weak chin, lack contour, and want better facial definition, then facial implants might be the solution. Qazi Cosmetic Clinic is now offering facial implants for all qualifying patients who want to put their best face forward. The procedure offers long-lasting results with no need for frequent touch-up appointments.
What Are Facial Implants For?
Facial implant procedures are a type of cosmetic surgery that improves the patient’s appearance by adding volume to certain areas. Chin implants can correct the appearance of a weak chin by adding depth and volume to the chin. Patients with a thin face and little contour may request cheek implants to give their face some dimension. Facial implant procedures are also ideal for reversing the appearance of sunken cheeks in older patients. The procedure is suitable for both men and women of all ages.
It is no secret that chin implants are the newest trend. Whether the popularity comes from social media or seeing your own face on Zoom so much, face implants are here to stay. Keep reading to learn all about face implants from Dr. Nadir Qazi of Qazi Cosmetic Clinic in Newport Beach.
What Are Face Implants?
You’re probably pretty familiar with breast implants and butt implants by now. Face implants are pretty similar. They are made from medical-grade silicone and shaped specifically to match each patient’s features. During a surgical procedure, the implants are placed under the skin. Once you heal, your face will have natural-looking contour and improved definition.
Face implants have actually been around since the 1950s; however, they have come a long way since then. Implants are now far more customizable and the procedure has evolved to be as least invasive as possible. Face implants have recently taken off. In 2000, there were only 10,427 cheek implant procedures. In 2020, there were 108,189 cheek implant procedures.
As procedures like fillers have become less popular, permanent implants are on the rise. Some attribute this popularity to the rise of Zoom meetings and the fact that people now look at their own faces all the time. It also helps that people view those with strong chins to be better leaders.
Types of Implants for the Face
There are 3 main types of face implants: cheek implants, jaw implants, and chin implants. Jaw implants are used to accentuate the jawline so the patient has a clear division between their neck and their face. Chin implants are used to make the chin more pronounced. This is ideal for patients with a weak chin or no chin. Cheek implants are used to add volume to an area of the cheeks.
Unlike chin and jawline implants, there are a few different types of cheek implants that you could get:
- Malar cheek implants are placed directly above the cheekbones to accentuate them. This option is popular among young people who want better contour.
- Submalar cheek implants are used to fill the space below the collarbones. This type of implant is ideal for older patients who have developed gaunt faces, having lost cheek volume due to aging.
- Combined cheek implants cover both the hollows of the cheeks and the cheekbone. This procedure can transform the face for anyone who has unremarkable features.
What are the Benefits of Face Implants?
1. Long-Lasting Results
The biggest reason why patients request face implants is because they are permanent. If you want to achieve better facial contours, your other option is non-surgical, non-invasive dermal fillers. Some facial fillers only last 6 to 12 months, others can stay in place for multiple years. However, patients with fillers require multiple touch-up procedures to maintain their results. In this day and age, everyone has a full dance card. People want to maintain a look with minimal effort. This is where facial implants come in.
Cheek, chin, and jawline implants can last forever. Unlike breast implants, they are not filled with any kind of filling or fluid. This means that the implant can’t rupture, so it will never leak, make you sick, or deflate. Face implants are made from solid silicone, which can stay in place for decades. Patients can enjoy their look for a long time without having to worry about their own safety, getting touch ups, or the results wearing off.
2. A Little Procedure Can Go a Long Way
Think of your celebrity crush, your favorite actor, and the model on the most recent cover of Vogue. There are a lot of things that make people beautiful or handsome, but what makes models and stars stand out is their contour. Actors like Anya Taylor-Joy and Henry Cavill are known for their natural bone structure. For Taylor-Joy, it’s her prominent cheekbones; for Cavill, it’s his sharp jawline.
Sadly, not everyone is facially blessed. However, a small little facial implant is often all someone needs to go from average to gorgeous. When it comes to beauty, the shape of your face is everything. Just a little more contour is enough to turn heads when you walk in the room and make you read as more confident.
3. It is a Relatively Fast and Simple Procedure
Another reason face implants are so popular is because the procedure is pretty simple. In some cases, it can be performed under local anesthesia. Implants can often be inserted with an incision in the mouth or a hidden incision on the underside of the jaw. This means that patients do not have visible scars.
Because the procedure is not overly invasive, patients can go back to work within a few days. The recovery is far easier than with other procedures. In some cases, patients can get their facial implant procedures before a long weekend and be back at work by Tuesday. This is especially ideal for patients in high-pressure jobs or appearance-based fields.
4. The Results Are Precise and Customizable
One downside to dermal fillers is that they are not very precise. Even when injected perfectly, there are a lot of factors that can ruin your results. For example, patients can wind up with “pillow face” from fillers. It is also possible to ruin the volume or render your fillers uneven if you sleep on your face too soon after the procedure.
Face implants, on the other hand, are completely customized to the patient’s bone structure and goals. Their shape can’t be flattened or warped. Face implants won’t make your face puffy or become asymmetrical. When the plastic surgeon places the implants, they stay there.
What Happens During Facial Implant Procedures?
Before the Procedure
Before the procedure begins, you will need to prepare for a few weeks. Prep instructions vary by patients, but you may be instructed to:
- Get lab tests to ensure that you are overall in good health.
- Have your face photographed by the surgeon, so they can plan the procedure.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Stop taking any supplements, prescriptions, and OTC medications that thin the blood.
- If you are receiving general anesthesia, you will need to arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure.
The Facial Plastic Surgery Procedure
The actual procedure can vary greatly depending on what type of implant you are getting. Sometimes the procedure can be performed under local anesthesia. However, if you are getting multiple implants or multiple procedures done, you will need general anesthesia. Once the anesthesia has taken effect, the plastic surgeon will make a small incision, insert the implants, suture the incision, and then you will be bandaged and taken to the recovery room.
For cheek implants, the silicone implant can normally be placed with an incision in the mouth. In some cases, like for malar implants, the surgeon will make an incision in the lower eyelid or in the hairline.
Chin implants can also be inserted through the mouth in most cases. The surgeon will make an incision where your lower lip meets your gums. However, an incision under the chin may be a necessary alternative.
Jaw implants can be placed with an incision in the mouth, in the hairline, or on the underside of the jaw. Because plastic surgeons want the results to look natural, they always use the method that results in the least scarring.
How Long is the Recovery?
The length and severity of the recovery depends on which type of implant you got. For most patients, they experience bruising, swelling, redness, and drainage for the first 24 hours. For the next few days, patients must keep their incisions clean and ice the treatment area. If your cheek implant was inserted via an incision in the lower eyelid, you should expect to have watery eyes for a few days.
Most patients are able to return to work within 2 or 3 days, depending on their occupation. Most of the bruising and swelling should heal within a week. It may take an additional week for the changes in sensation to resolve. Nearly all the visible swelling should be gone by the end of the 2nd week.
It takes between 3 and 6 months for your face to adjust to the implants. Once the skin settles into place, your results will be final. Because facial implants don’t rupture, migrate, or wear off, your results can potentially last forever. However, some patients may choose to have their implants removed later in life when they no longer compliment their changing face.
Are Facial Implants Right For You? – 5 Factors to Being a Good Candidate
Although implants are popular right now, that doesn’t mean that just anyone can stroll into a plastic surgery practice and get them. There are 5 things that make someone a good candidate for facial implants:
- They are overall healthy. This means no history of allergic reactions to anesthesia or any diagnosed bleeding disorder. Patients with other health conditions may be eligible for implants if their conditions are well-managed and won’t cause surgical complications.
- They have a natural bone structure that could benefit from greater facial contouring. Patients with a weak jawline, recessed chin, double chin, asymmetrical features, or flat cheekbones may benefit from face implants.
- Patients must have realistic expectations for the procedure. You must understand that the procedure will improve your appearance by giving you greater facial contours. However, don’t expect the procedure to completely turn your life around all on its own. That part is still up to you.
- Patients must be either non-smokers or have the ability to quit smoking well before the procedure. Smoking damages your lungs, which puts you at greater risk of breathing problems during the procedure. Smokers are more likely to require a ventilator or to develop pneumonia after their procedure than non-smokers. Nicotine also reduces blood flow, which can slow down wound healing and cause incisions to become infected.
- They are able to take time off to recover properly. Recovery after a procedure is no joke. When the cosmetic surgeon tells you to take it easy, they mean it. You will need to take between 1 and 7 days off of work after your procedure. If you rush back into strenuous activity, you could put yourself at risk and harm your results.
Can Men Get Face Implants?
Yes! Facial implants are ideal for men with a weak chin or jawline. The team at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic are highly experienced at helping male patients achieve their aesthetic goals. Think of actors like Henry Cavill, Robert Pattinson, Brad Pitt, and Matt Bomer. What makes them look for masculine is their strong chin and cutting jawline. For men who feel unmanly, face implants can help give you a stronger, more debonair appearance.
Schedule a Face Implant Consultation Today!
At our Newport Beach office, Dr. Nadir Qazi works with a team of plastic surgeons to offer every kind of cosmetic procedure. During your consultation, you should expect to discuss your goals, health history, reasons, and what to expect for the procedure.
Dr. Qazi also advises all patients to come prepared for their consultation. When you come to Qazi Cosmetic Clinic for your consultation, you should:
- Bring a list of questions
- Have any photos showing the kind of results you want
- Bring a friend to be your support buddy (optional)
- Come wearing no makeup or be prepared to remove your makeup in the office
- Wear garments where your face and neck can be easily seen
- Bring a list of medications and supplements that you take
- Be in contact with your primary care provider
- Bring a list of questions about the procedure
- Be prepared to ask for clarification on anything that confuses you.
If you are interested in facial implant procedures, schedule a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic! Our office is now accepting both male and female patients of all ages.