Many patients come into the clinic because they suffer from patchy hair patterns due to hair loss. Hormonal changes, medical conditions, radiation, stress, or simply hereditary disease are some unfortunate but typical causes of hair loss. Whichever combination that may be, our cosmetic practice in Irvine, CA offers advanced, non-invasive hair restoration through PRP therapy to eliminate the undesirable appearance of thinning hair in 3 to 5 sessions.
Platelet rich plasma is less daunting than it sounds- it’s a natural component of your blood that stimulates skin and hair regeneration! People of all genders want to feel more confident in their appearance, and your hair is a large part of that. Maybe you’ve tried over the counter products like Rogaine or feel reluctant to go through invasive transplant surgery. If that’s the case, you’re likely a perfect candidate for PRP therapy. We welcome consultations to receive an expert diagnosis!
What is PRP therapy?
The rationale behind PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) as a therapeutic agent is that it delivers growth factors, cytokines, and other molecular mediators to the site of tissue injury to increase healing. PRP is full of growth factors and proteins that speed tissue repair. PRP therapy stimulates hair growth through the promotion of vascularization and creation of new blood vessels that bring new blood circulation and growth factors to the scalp (angiogenesis), as well as encouraging hair follicles to enter and extend the duration of the anagen phase (the most active growth portion of the hair growth cycle!). PRP therapy has limited studies, but existing data shows that the procedure yields effective results that may also help you achieve thicker and healthier hair (Gentile et al., 2005). citation
A typical PRP therapy session includes 5 steps:
- Blood is drawn from the patient
- Placed into a machine called a centrifuge where the blood is spun rapidly to separate the blood into three layers: platelet poor plasma, platelet rich plasma, and red blood cells.
- Apply a cooling agent to prevent any pain
- Inject nutrients into balding area to stimulate growth
- Recovery period and return in 4-6 weeks for prescribed treatment cycle
When to Expect Results and How Long do the Results Last?
Most patients can start to see results 4 weeks post treatment, however, best results are seen after three treatments spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart. PRP is especially effective in the early stages of hair loss and can stimulate dormant hair follicles to return to a growth phase.
There Are Many Other Procedures… why PRP?
PRP is one of the most therapeutic effective treatment tools available that is nonsurgical with no major side effects, and can be combined with other procedures and medications, or simply serve as an effective coadjuvant therapy in patients who no longer respond to pharmacological treatments.
The results recorded in studies have shown epidermal thickness, which corresponds to better follicle growth, perifollicular neoangiogenesis (new blood vessel formation in scalp region), cell proliferation, increase in terminal hair, and decrease in thin miniaturized hair. In other words, greater hair density count and thickness have been demonstrated through multiple clinical trials!
- The data clearly highlights the positive effects of PRP injections on hair loss. Take a look at our patients’ before and after photos! Of course, just like with any cosmetic treatment, more extensive, controlled studies must take place to accurately state it will 100% work on everyone with hair loss problems.
Possible PRP Risks and Side Effects
- Mild redness
- Mild irritation
- Rare: infection or scar tissue
- In addition, we would recommend against wearing a hat for the next few days and not showering your hair for 48 to 72 hours.
- Overall, our patients do not experience any bruising
- Hair transplant surgery
- Wide scar, high risk of infection, excessive bleeding, hair growth not uniform, repeating surgery, expensive $$$
- Topical Minoxidil/Rogaine cons: slower results
- Chest pain, hypertrichosis (unwanted non-scalp hair growth), rash, hypersensitivity, headache
Who would be good candidates?
Any male or female with thinning hair, preferably in areas where follicles can still be observed. Hair FX™ is not intended for those who are completely bald. It is best to receive treatment as soon as you are noticing signs of hair loss.
– Pregnancy safe
Patients who fall under the following should not be considered for PRP therapy:
- Patients with blood or platelet disorders
- Chronic liver disease
- Thyroid disease
- Chronic infections
- Take anticoagulation medication
We would also recommend avoiding NSAIDs for 5 days prior to treatment and to avoid smoking or drinking as these can increase bleeding and prolong healing.
PRP treatment for hair loss is a safe, effective treatment which has shown to deliver results.
Contact us and set an appointment for your consultation with Dr. Qazi at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic & Med Spa and say goodbye to hair loss!