How To Do a Brazilian Butt Lift Safely
It’s no secret that female body shapes go in and out of style every few years. It’s also no secret that, right now, it’s all about the booty.
Now, everyone from celebrities to media personalities to singers are racing to fill out their booties through a variety of butt-enhancing procedures. The most popular of which is the Brazilian butt lift.
What is a Brazilian Butt Lift?
A Brazilian butt lift – or BBL as it is also known – is a butt augmentation procedure that utilizes liposuction to remove excess fat from the stomach, waist, and thighs, then injects that fat into the butt for a larger, more rounded behind. This procedure is increasingly popular because many women want to embrace the #bootygoals look, but find that squats aren’t giving them the results that they want.
In recent years, this procedure has a reputation as being one of the most dangerous cosmetic procedures on the market. However, it can be perfectly safe if performed by an experienced cosmetic surgeon.
What To Expect During The Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery
When you attend your consultation with Dr. Nadir Qazi, he will make a recommendation on which procedure is best to help you achieve your goals. If you and Dr. Qazi decide that Brazilian butt lift surgery is right for you, then your procedure will involve the following steps:
Part 1: Liposuction
- Because this is a surgical procedure, it is performed under general anesthesia. If you have a history of problems with anesthesia or if it makes you feel sick, be sure to tell Dr. Qazi and his team of plastic surgeons beforehand. This will allow them to provide you with additional medication to keep you comfortable and to address your concerns.
- For a BBL, fat is commonly removed from the hips, stomach, thighs, or waist. These are areas where patients often have a little extra padding. By taking fat from these areas, a surgeon can sculpt your body into an hourglass shape.
- Several fluids are used to prepare the treatment areas for liposuction. Tumescence, which contains lidocaine for numbing and epinephrine for bleeding control, is designed to minimize tissue damage during the procedure. This also helps reduce swelling and can shorten your recovery time.
- Liposuction is done by making small incisions into the skin and then using a medical device called a cannula to vacuum out fat cells. While liposuction is a body contouring procedure rather than a weight loss procedure, it is very effective at reducing the size of your waist, stomach, or thighs. Once these fat cells are removed, they will likely not return.
Part 2: The Fat Transfer
- Once the fat has been removed, your surgeon will purify the fat. The cannula usually sucks out everything under the skin, including the fat cells, some blood, and the tumescence fluid. Because the fat will be reinjected, it is very important that the fat cells are separated from the other fluids.
- The fat cells will then be injected into certain areas of the butt. Where the fat is injected is customized for each patient to give them maximum volume and to fit their body shape. The transfer requires between 3 and 5 small incisions.
- Once the surgeon is sure that the fat transfer was successful, they will close up the incisions from the liposuction and the fat transfer. In certain cases, the liposuction incisions may be left open temporarily to allow for fluid drainage. This will depend on your specific needs after the procedure.
Part 3: The Recovery
- The procedure isn’t over after you are sent to the recovery room. A successful Brazilian butt lift is not only determined by the surgeon’s technique, it also depends on how well you care for the treated areas and follow instructions for aftercare.
- When you are discharged, you will be given a compression garment and instruction for how to change your bandages.
- For the first 2 weeks, it is very important that you do not sit on your butt. It is best to sleep on your side or your front to avoid damage to the area.
- Your butt will be sore for 4 to 6 weeks as your body heals and your butt absorbs the new fat cells. It can take up to 6 months before you see the results of the procedure.
- In the months afterward, it is important that your weight does not fluctuate. This means that you should avoid crash diets, maintain your usual levels of exercise, be aware of weight-related side effects of medications, maintain a healthy relationship with food, and put off getting pregnant. Any serious weight gain or loss can negatively affect your results.
- The effects of the procedure can last years. While this length of time does vary by person, life events like aging or pregnancy can reverse the results of your Brazilian butt lift. For some patients, you may require more than one procedure in order to achieve the results that you want.
Is a Brazilian Butt Lift Safe?
You have probably heard that the Brazilian butt lift surgery is one of the most dangerous cosmetic surgeries. There are several factors that explain this; however, it does not mean that the procedure itself is inherently more dangerous than other procedures.
One of the biggest reasons why BBLs are considered unsafe is that there is a very high demand for the procedure, but not as many surgeons who are qualified to perform them. This leads to a lot of unqualified, inexperienced surgeons attempting the surgery and luring in patients with low prices. In cases like these, there have been some fatalities and instances of harmful complications after surgery.
If performed by an experienced surgeon, then a Brazilian butt lift can be perfectly safe. Dr. Qazi and his team of Orange County plastic surgeons are highly knowledgeable about this procedure.
The key to performing it safely hinges on knowing how much fat can be safely removed and safely reinjected. It is also important to avoid injecting too much fat into the butt or injecting it too deeply. This is what can cause side effects like a fat embolism.
The safest and most effective place to transfer the fat is into the subcutaneous layer of existing fat. This way, your body can reabsorb the new fat cells with ease and there is very little risk of adverse side effects.
Safety Tips for Patients
If you want a Brazilian butt lift, the best way for you to ensure your own safety is to do your research. This means only receiving procedures – any kind of cosmetic procedure – from experienced, board-certified physicians and surgeons. Always seek out a legitimate cosmetic clinics and plastic surgeons.
When you go in for your consultation, make sure to ask lots of questions. This includes asking about your doctor’s experience with the procedure and seeing if they are up to date on the latest surgical methods. You should also read online reviews about the clinic as a whole to ensure that you will receive proper care from all the staff members. Testimonials from previous patients can also give you insight into the safety of the procedure and how well the cosmetic surgeon can perform it.
Finally, do yourself a favor and do not bargain shop. Bargain shopping is for buying shoes. When it comes to surgical procedures, be prepared to pay more for a safer procedure. Your future self will thank you.
Dr. Qazi’s Advice: Always Try To Do Non-Surgical If Possible
When Dr. Qazi meets with new patients, he recommends that they try to take the non-surgical route when possible. There are several reasons why non-surgical procedures can be better than surgical procedures:
- Most non-surgical procedures are temporary and can be safely reversed. As your Instagram feed can probably tell you, trends change in the blink of an eye. Today lip fillers are all the rage, but tomorrow small lips could be the new hottest trend. In the early 2000s, the tall, thin, busty, Victoria Secret Angel look was the trending female body type. Now having a big butt is in. Who knows what could be the next hot, new body shape. Surgical body contouring procedures like the Brazilian butt lift can last years, meaning that if the big butt goes out of style again, you will still be stuck with yours.
- Non-surgical procedures involve less recovery time. Most of the natural-looking, non-invasive, non-surgical procedures that Dr. Qazi offers come with minimal downtime and the ability for you to go right back to work or school. For people who have a busy schedule, these procedures are ideal. However, surgical procedures like a BBL require several weeks of recovery, during which time you will can’t easily sit down.
- Non-surgical procedures are generally safer with less risk of adverse side effects. While a Brazilian butt lift is perfectly safe when performed by an experienced surgeon, the procedure is still a surgery, and all surgical procedures carry some risk. Non-surgical procedures, on the other hand, generally have fewer risks and adverse side effects. Treatments like dermal fillers can be easily reversed with a shot hyaluronidase if you have a bad reaction. A surgical butt augmentation, however, is significantly harder to reverse.
When you have your consultation with Dr. Qazi, he will help determine which procedure is right for you and make a recommendation. If you meet the criteria for a Brazilian butt lift, then the surgery can be performed in-house by Dr. Qazi’s team of plastic surgeons.
If it turns out that a BBL is not right for you, Qazi Cosmetic Clinic offers many other non-invasive procedures that can help you achieve your body goals.
Brazilian butt lift surgery isn’t right for everyone. The ideal candidate for the procedure is someone who:
- Has enough fat on the hips, waist, stomach, or thighs for the fat transfer.
- Does not smoke.
- Is overall in good health with no medical complications.
- Has lost their buttock volume due to aging or weight fluctuations.
- Has not had any recent infections.
However, some patients who want a bigger butt do not have adequate amounts of fat on other areas of their body for the transfer. If this is the case, you do have other options for achieving your body goals, such as the California Buttlift™.
Have You Considered a California Buttlift™?
If you are on the fence about getting a BBL or don’t meet the criteria, then Dr. Qazi’s signature California Buttlift™ may be right for you. This is a non-invasive option for achieving your booty goals without the cost and downtime of a Brazilian butt lift.
A California Buttlift™ combines the ground-breaking HD Sculpt™ technology with the contouring power of the injectable filler Radiesse. First, the HD Sculpt system uses electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) to rapidly contract your glute muscles. It is like a thousand squats being condensed into the space of a 45 minute appointment. By mimicking exercise, the HD Sculpt device can destroy fat cells and increase muscle mass by up to 30%.
The best part is that your body is doing the work – this isn’t some cheat or easy way out. Your muscles are actively contracting and becoming stronger; the treatment is like going to the gym, just a little more efficient.
The second part of this non-surgical butt lift involves injecting a safe dermal filler into the skin on your butt and thighs. This filler will instantly provide greater volume and a more even shape. It will also reduce cellulite for a smooth, sexy-looking behind.
After your California Buttlift™, you will be sore for a few days and will need to massage the area daily for about a week. But you’re free to go back to work or school. It takes 3 to 6 months to see the results of how the dermal filler boosts your collagen levels After that, you can enjoy a shapely, Instagram-able booty.
Contact Qazi Cosmetic Clinic in Orange County, CA to Learn More!