Man Boobs – also called Moobs. Most men with man boobs – the medical term is gynecomastia – have been rushing to the nearest computer to search “how to reduce gynecomastia fast.”
If that is what you Googled, then you are in the right place. Read on to learn how to say goodbye to your man boobs from expert Dr. Nadir Qazi.
How To Reduce Gynecomastia the Natural Way
Some men are happy with their man boobs; some are not. As more and more men are becoming vocal about body positivity as it applies to the man body, the ideal of the chiseled six pack and tight pecs is becoming a build of the past. But just because Zac Effron, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Hugh Jackman are embracing this new body shape, that doesn’t mean that you have to. Many men just don’t feel as masculine when they develop extra breast tissue. It can negatively impact your confidence, lead to eating disorders, make you self conscious, and contribute to anxiety.
If you want to keep your man boobs then that’s great! There is no wrong way to be a guy or to have a body. However, if you’d rather see the man boobs go, here are some tricks for getting rid of gynecomastia without surgery.
- Waiting It Out – During some stages of a man’s life it is perfectly normal to develop more breast tissue. Men and boys normally develop gynecomastia as newborns, teens, or older men. This is because gynecomastia is caused by hormonal imbalances, which normally occur during these periods of a man’s life. There is a possibility that your man boobs will go away on their own.
- Lose Weight Through Diet Changes and Exercise – One misconception about man boobs is that they are solely caused by weight gain. While this can be the case for some men, it isn’t the only cause. If you want to try getting rid of gynecomastia naturally, your first stop should be to lose weight. But don’t worry if it doesn’t work! Weight loss isn’t effective for all men, and another solution may work better for you.
- Talk To a Doctor About Medications and Habits – Certain medications and use of alcohol or recreational drugs may be causing your gynecomastia. If you are taking anti-anxiety medications, antibiotics, antidepressants, antivirals, chemotherapy, any kind of heart medication, or any kind of heartburn medication, you should talk to your doctor about the potential side effects. Because these medications can affect your hormones, they can cause man boobs to form as a side effect. If possible, your doctor should switch you to another medication with fewer side effects.
Other substances, including both legal and illegal drugs, such as alcohol, amphetamines, opioids, heroine, steroids, and marijuana may also contribute to your gynecomastia. So if you are wondering how to reduce gynecomastia, the solution may be to cut back on drugs and alcohol.
- Cut Back on Herbal Products – Herbal products including oils, supplements, lotions, shampoos, and conditioners can also cause your testosterone levels to drop and your estrogen levels to rise. While everyone loves the word “natural” when it appears on product labels, in this case, the way to naturally get rid of your man boobs is to cut back on all those natural, herbal products.
I Tried All These Solutions, But I Can’t Get Rid of My Gynecomastia
The bad news is that sometimes man boobs are not caused by external factors; sometimes they are genetic, a natural side effect of aging, or due to an underlying condition.
If you have hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism, kidney diseases, tumors in the endocrine system, or liver disease then there is a good chance that your condition is causing your gynecomastia. Keep in mind that your life and quality of life is the most important thing, not your looks. In these cases it may be impossible to naturally reduce gynecomastia while maintaining your treatments. For many men in these circumstances, having surgery for getting rid of gynecomastia is not safe.
However, if your gynecomastia is genetic, then surgery may be the best solution for you. The same way that baldness runs in families, so do man boobs. If your dad had them, then you probably do too. Whereas baldness can be a lifelong struggle where you try everything from wigs to medications to DIY concoctions, gynecomastia can be fixed easily with a safe one-and-done surgery.
At Qazi Cosmetic Clinic, Dr. Qazi works closely with a team of local Orange County plastic surgeons in order to provide all his patients with the procedures that they need. In fact, Dr. Qazi prides himself on meeting the unique cosmetic needs of all men in Orange County. Whether you just need a little skin brightening to fade your dark spots, some lightening for other important regions, or dermal fillers to give you Henry Cavill-level contour, Qazi Cosmetic Clinic has you covered!
Schedule a consultation to get an expert opinion for how to reduce gynecomastia. If Dr. Qazi decides that surgery is your best option, he will create a customized treatment plan to be performed by his in-house surgical team.
What You Need To Know About Gynecomastia Surgery
As much as many men put on a brave face, the truth is that surgery freaks out all of us. Everything from horror stories on Botched to r/nosleep posts about waking up on the table give us plenty of scary mental pictures. When it comes to surgery for getting rid of gynecomastia, there is nothing to worry about. The procedure is quite common, so it is very safe. When performed by an experienced team, like the surgical team at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic, it will be perfectly safe – and you might not even have visible scars, depending on the surgical method.
Here’s what you can expect during the procedure:
- This procedure requires general anesthesia to keep you comfortable. You will be monitored by an expert the entire time. If you have a history of bad reactions to anesthesia, be sure to notify Dr. Qazi and the surgical team before the procedure.
- There are several different techniques that are highly effective at reducing your man boobs in a natural-looking way. One is liposuction. For this method, the surgeon will make small incisions around the sides and bottoms of your man boobs.
- Then, they will insert a cannula and use it to vacuum out the fat cells that are causing the extra size in your chest. This is a fairly quick procedure. Once the cells are removed, you will be stitched up and moved to the recovery room for monitoring.
- The second technique is the excision technique. For men with more breast tissue and greater size, this method works best to return you to your previously manly chest. For this technique, the excess skin and glandular breast tissue are removed. In some cases, it may be necessary for the nipple to be repositioned to create a more natural-looking chest.
- For this procedure, incision locations vary depending on your unique needs. Due to the more invasive nature of this procedure, it usually leaves more scarring than liposuction does.
- The third effective treatment is a combination of liposuction and excision. For this method, liposuction will be used to vacuum out the extra fat cells. However, liposuction commonly leaves behind saggy skin. To prevent this, the surgeon will then use the excision technique to remove the excess skin and possibly reposition the nipple.
- Immediately after the procedure, you will be moved into a recovery room where you will be monitored by a team of medical professionals. While side effects and adverse results are quite rare, the team caring for you will be carefully watching in order to catch problems early.
- It is best to have someone else drive you home after the surgery. You will be discharged with dressings for your incisions, a support garment, and prescriptions for pain and antibiotics.
- It is important to wear your support garment as much as possible. It will minimize swelling, which will help along your recovery and give you better results. You will also be given instructions for caring for the surgical sites.
- You should take it easy and do nothing for the first few days. After about a week you are safe to return to work or school. Avoid strenuous exercise for the first 2-3 weeks, including chest exercises. If you feel ill, notice infection, or if the swelling doesn’t go down, contact Qazi Cosmetic Clinic right away.
- The results of the surgery are permanent. You can expect to see results in 3 to 6 months. While you will have some scars from the incisions, these will gradually fade over time. Before you know it, you will be rocking a beach body – and no one would ever know that that body had man boobs only a year earlier!
3 Common Misconceptions About Gynecomastia & What You Really Need To Know
Myth #1: Man boobs are caused by weight gain or another dietary issue. If you have them, it’s just because you are not disciplined enough.
While man boobs can be caused by weight gain in some cases, most men get man boobs as a result of genetics, a health condition, or from a hormonal imbalance caused by something else. It is also perfectly normal to have man boobs at certain stages of life. It is not a matter of not being disciplined about your diet and exercise; many things can cause gynecomastia and you can’t blame yourself if you develop the condition.
Myth #2: Breasts are only for women. Men can’t have breasts. If they do, it makes them less of a man.
No part of this one is true.
Everyone has breasts, including men – as Chris Evans could tell you. Breasts have no gender; all humans naturally have tissue on their chest. In the same way that women can have big breasts or small breasts, they are still women. As a man, it doesn’t matter if you have breasts or not, you’re still a man. While surgery is a common answer for how to reduce gynecomastia, it isn’t mandatory.
You can embrace the man boobs – and show them off at the beach with your meggings – or you can work on getting rid of gynecomastia through natural or surgical methods.
Myth #3: There are no health conditions associated with gynecomastia.
There is nothing wrong with having man boobs; however, once breast tissue develops, it is possible for breast cancer to develop. While breast cancer is significantly more common in women, it is possible for men to get it too. One way to prevent the risk of breast cancer is to reduce gynecomastia through natural means or with surgery. If you are determined to embrace the man boobs, you will have to keep an eye out for the symptoms of breast cancer as well as check yourself for lumps and check to see if there is a family history of breast cancer.
Here’s How To Reduce Gynecomastia – Schedule a Consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic
If you are a guy in Orange County who is ready to see his man boobs disappear, schedule a consultation with Dr. Qazi to hear all your treatment options. If you and Dr. Qazi agree that surgery is the best option for you, the procedure can be performed in-house by Dr. Qazi’s team of experienced plastic surgeons.