Neck Lift Surgery – How To Get Rid of Turkey Neck
It happens to millions of Americans every year: you start to button up your shirt and realize that you can’t because the dreaded “turkey neck” is blocking those last few buttons. Millions of people every year Google “How to get rid of turkey neck.” The results will recommend everything from head nodding exercise to physically taping your neck into place.
The problem with these internet recommendations is that there are no reputable studies on whether these exercises can actually fix your turkey neck. This is because exercises can tone muscle, but they can’t get rid of excess skin – the cause of turkey neck.
Do you know what can get rid of excess skin, neck lift surgery, which is scientifically proven to improve the appearance of the neck and face. Neck lifts also have an overall 93.8% satisfaction rate among patients.
What is Neck Lift Surgery?
A neck lift is a surgical procedure that effectively treats the appearance of a turkey neck by removing excess skin and fat from the neck and chin. Neck lifts are often performed at the same time as a face lift or a brow lift. While a neck lift cannot stop the aging process, it can restore the contours of the jawline, de-age the neck, and keep you looking younger for longer.
Neck lift surgery is designed to tighten and enhance the neck. It can treat several different conditions, including: turkey neck, sagging skin on the neck, a double chin, and banding on the neck. If you are receiving this procedure in order to reverse the appearance of a double chin, liposuction will be used in conjunction with neck reshaping to restore your profile.
How To Get Rid of a Turkey Neck With Surgery
Neck lift surgery is the most effective way to get rid of a turkey neck. While surgery does come with risks and a bit of downtime, the results are quite long-lasting and the transformation is nearly permanent.
A turkey neck is a common and normal part of aging. It occurs when the platysma muscles get stretched or become lax. Fat build up under the chin and drooping skin due to gravity also contribute to this unsightly phenomenon. Genetics also play a role in whether or not you will develop a turkey neck. If your parents have turkey necks, then chances are that you will too. While diet, exercise, neck exercises, and store-bought neck wraps may give the initial appearance of treating your turkey neck, they will not fix it long term. This is why neck lift surgery is your best option for saying goodbye to the turkey neck for good.
Here’s what to expect when you get neck lift surgery:
- If you are considering neck lift surgery, the first step is to schedule a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic. When you meet with Dr Qazi, he will determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure. The ideal candidate for a neck lift is someone who is healthy enough for surgery, has realistic expectations, and has a large enough turkey neck to justify surgery.
- If you and Dr. Qazi determine that neck lift surgery is right for you, you will be given specific pre-op instructions. Most patients are required to avoid alcohol, stop smoking, avoid blood-thinning medications, and protect your neck from sun exposure before the procedure. You will also need to stop eating and drinking the night before your procedure.
- Additional preparations can include: doing a prescribed face washing routine in the days before the surgery, getting lab tests done, and stop satking Retin-A creams and Accutane.
- When you arrive for the procedure itself, you will be prepped by the caring surgical team and will be given general anesthesia. If you have a history of bad reactions to anesthesia, notify Dr. Qazi and the surgical team right away.
- During the procedure, the surgeon will begin by making a small incision just under the chin. This incision will be used to access the fat cells that form the double chin.
- A cannula is inserted into the incision and used to vacuum out the excess fat cells. This procedure is liposuction, which is perfectly safe and proven to be effective at removing unwanted fat pockets.
- The neck muscles and loose skin on the neck are then tightened. Excess skin may be trimmed off to create a smoother appearance for the neck.
- The surgeon will then use stitches to close up the small incision under the chin. You will be bandaged up and sent to the recovery room.
- Immediately after the surgery, you can expect to feel light pain, tightness, soreness, changes to sensation, and numbness. You can also expect some swelling and bruising near the treatment area.
- It is recommended that patients start walking around as soon as they are able to. This will keep your blood flowing, which will reduce your risk of blood clots.
- After the surgery, patients should avoid blood-thinners like Aspirin, alcohol, tobacco products, strenuous activities, excessive sun exposure, hair dyes, steam baths, and driving for several days. Once patients stop taking their prescribed pain medications, they are safe to drive again.
- Most patients are safe to resume their regular activities 2 to 3 weeks after the surgery. It takes about a week for the swelling and bruising to go down enough to be comfortable in public. Dr. Qazi recommends that patients relax as much as possible after their surgery. Attempting to return to normal activities too quickly can hurt your results and put you at risk of experiencing harmful side effects.
Why You Should Consider Getting a Neck Lift
Did you know that your neck gives away your age as much as your face does? Many patients opt for a face lift then realize that they still have a saggy neck that makes them look old beyond their years. Neck lift surgery is one of the best treatments on the market for making you look as young as you feel. Most people don’t realize how much their neck determines their overall look until they see themselves without the turkey neck.
Once you say goodbye to your turkey neck for good, you can enjoy all the benefits of neck lift surgery, including:
- Increase confidence, which translates to more fun at social events, better lucky dating, and more success in the workplace.
- A more striking profile.
- Clothes, jewelry, and accessories will fit better and look better on you.
- You will no longer have to struggle to button your shirts, wear ties, or shave.
- You will look as active and energetic on the outside as you feel on the inside.
- With an improved self-image, you will feel more self-assured.
- Others will perceive you as being younger and having more energy.
- You will look and feel more fit.
- A neck lift can take 10 years off your face and restore your jawline.
- The results of a neck lift look completely natural, so no one has to know that you had a procedure.
If you want to completely revitalize your appearance, Dr. Qazi recommends combining a neck lift with a facelift or a brow lift. This is because, when you have one area of your face restored, it will draw attention to the areas of your face that still have wrinkles. This happens very frequently with facelifts: because a facelift only focuses on the bottom part of the face, patients find that their crows feet or forehead wrinkles are more noticeable after the procedure.
Is There a Non-Surgical Alternative To a Neck Lift?
Some people are not good candidates for a neck lift, so they are encouraged to try non-surgical alternatives. If you are unprepared for the demands of surgery, do not have a large enough turkey neck to justify surgery, are yoo young for a neck lift, or only have minimal sagging skin, then Dr. Qazi may recommend Kybella, MicroLipo, or a PDO thread lift instead.
Kybella is a non-surgical treatment to reduce the appearance of double chins. Kybella contains a safe, synthetic form of deoxycholic acid, which naturally aids in breaking down fat in the body.
When you get Kybella at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic, Dr. Qazi will inject it into your chin, then the active ingredients in Kybella will destroy the fat cells that make up your double chin. Once fat cells are destroyed, they are unlikely to reaccumulate. This option is before for people who only have a small amount of fat in their chins. It cannot address excess or sagging skin.
MicroLipo is exactly what it sounds like: a non-invasive form of liposuction. It works similar to Kybella, except that it vacuums out the fat cells to reduce the size of the chin. Dr. Qazi normally used MicroLipo in conjunction with Renuvion J Plasma. Renuvion is the premier skin-tightening treatment, which is ideal for tightening loose or sagging skin on the neck and chin.
Renuvion works by applying heat in the form of RF waves to the skin, which naturally causes the skin to tighten. While it is highly effective at treating small areas of cosmetic concern, anyone with excessive sagging skin may require neck lift surgery instead.
A PDO thread lift is essentially the non-invasive version of a facelift. In addition to lifting away wrinkles, it can also be used in younger patients to achieve a “snatched” “cat eye” look. For older patients whose days of mimicking the Hollywood stars are over, thread lifts are ideal for lifting away sagging skin and smoothing over wrinkles.
PDO threads can be hooked into the skin and pulled on in order to raise up sagging skin. They are safe for use on both the neck and the face. While PDO threads cannot treat fat pockets in the chin, they are highly effective at tightening and lifting sagging skin.
What Are The Benefits of Neck Lift Surgery vs. A Non-Surgical Neck Lift?
While non-surgical options are easier, more comfortable, and less invasive, there are several benefits to choosing a surgical procedure:
- The Results – When you get neck lift surgery, the results can last 10 to 15 years. In some cases, the results last forever, if the patient takes good care of their skin. In comparison, A thread lift only lasts 6 months.
- The Availability – Non-invasive procedures are not able to create as much of a transformation as a neck lift can. Non-invasive procedures are best for people who only have a small chin and minimal sagging skin. Whereas a neck lift can transform your profile no matter the size of your chin and the extent of your sagging skin.
- The Anti-Aging Potential – Kybella may shrink your chin, but only neck lift surgery can take a decade off your face. If you want to look years younger, then a neck lift is the way to go. While PDO threads may be able to temporarily fend off the effects of gravity, a neck lift can more effectively trim away all that extra skin and smooth out your neck.
- The Transformation – Another benefit of surgical anti-aging treatments is that it is easy and efficient to combine multiple procedures. If you decide to have a facelift at the same time as your neck lift, you can kill two birds with one stone. This way, when you reveal your new look, you will have an overall more youthful appearance with no one area of the face giving away your age. While non-invasive procedures can treat specific cosmetic concerns, only a surgical neck lift and facelift can completely transform your face.
Learn More About How To Get Rid of Turkey Neck
Do you want to say goodbye to your turkey neck just in time for Thanksgiving? Schedule a consultation at Qazi Cosmetic Clinic to learn more about neck lift surgery. If you are a good candidate for this procedure, it can be performed by Dr. Qazi’s team of expert plastic surgeons.